User Tag List

Automation Addiction - Captain Dennis Landry

This is an interesting paper by Captain Dennis Landry about pilot over reliance on automation in the cockpit and includes recommended training regimes to help maintain skills.

Very detailed.

Executive Summary

Exclusive use of automation during normal operations can result in degradation of the ability to precisely maneuver the aircraft without automation. Equally important, some pilots lose the ability to recognize and resolve erroneous automation displays during certain automation malfunctions, especially those involving pitot-static systems.

Automation Addiction

During normal flight operations automation provides significant benefits. However, there are brief periods that demand the aircraft be flown without automation or contrary to automation-directed flight paths. Pilots should be trained and, equally important, be provided with recommended operational practices that maintain skill levels required for these automation exceptions.

Open the PDF attachment to read the rest of the paper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I intend to fly until my beard gets caught in the propeller. And since I don't plan on growing a beard, that may be a while. Ernest K. Gann, age 69

Daily Diatribe - (Carl's Blog)

Oh come on, guys!

The paper's not THAT long.

How about some discussion???
    I intend to fly until my beard gets caught in the propeller. And since I don't plan on growing a beard, that may be a while. Ernest K. Gann, age 69

Daily Diatribe - (Carl's Blog)